Monday, August 23, 2004

distracted

Mm. Yes. I owe flowers and fury a long-overdue update, but unfortunately, I have a rather high distractibility rate. I was planning to get around to writing this afternoon, but I ended up working on a random piece in the making as well as an update for another blog of mine [as I have mentioned, updating multiple blogs is a semi-suicidal affair and definitely not for the faint-hearted!], and then I somehow ended up playing Minesweeper and eventually got very annoyed at my lack of success. That led to determinism to finish at least one! expert game, because no buggery little computer was going to defeat me. So. I ended up clicking little squares on a grid for a rather long time before I finished with the unsatisfying time of 126 seconds, and ended up not doing anything constructive i.e. writing.

And I am here now, hopefully free from distractions. Actually, this blog itself could be viewed as a distraction of sorts. Actually, Jien, you are a distraction. *grin* It’s so like dat lah, this life is – we are supposed to focus on something, then something else comes along [or floats along ;)] and we get distracted. Like now, I really should be writing my college application essays instead, or doing laundry, or even reading a book or *cough* practicing driving. But instead, being the love-struck googly-eyed ooh-ing and aah-ing teenaged girl that I am [indeed, indeed], I’m blogging about my romance. Oh dear.

Actually I don’t really know what I’m doing. Then again, that could be somewhat true of this entire affair. I guess it just shows. ;)

Where was I? Got distracted by bro who came into my room, and then I decided to transfer some of my old emails from the desktop to my notebook. Yet another distraction. We can do only so many things at the same time – some people multi-task better than others, but all the same we are limited and finite, although faced with infinite possibilities. So everything we do do comes at the cost of not doing something else. Doh, you say?

Dearest has been in Fraser’s Hill over the weekend for a spiritual retreat with his myf/church, and I am sort-of waiting for him to appear online at some point or another tonight. He flies off on Thursday night/Friday morning, and the honeymoon will be over and the baptism of fire begun. I wonder what distractions will come our way over the next five years of long-distance; what will tempt us apart, and what is the glue that will keep us together? Which pretty, flirty girls will catch his eye, when his beloved is half a world away? ;p Which long-haired, pierced guitarist dudes am I going to crush on? ;D Will we grow together, or will we grow apart?

Heh heh heh. Such suspense. Stay tuned for the next episode of....

Ish. I’m being lame.

But it is strange. Strange indeed how everything has happened over the past 2 and a half months; the intensity and the love and the pathos and the tears, and all the memories that we have made together – I’m sure it was a pretty unconventional whirlwind romance, as far as whirlwind romances go. Probably because we are such unconventional, unique people ;D And summer ends too soon. It always does.

Sometimes I sit and think wistfully about all the things we wanted to do together – the driving lesson we never had, evening strolls on the beach, visiting Penang/Kelantan/some obscure place, the terribly loooooong list of movies we said we’d watch together but never got around to doing, this and that, this and that. Things that are still on our list of “stuff to do”, the dreams we have together.

Then I sit and think wistfully about all the things we did do. Singapore [the zoo, always the zoo! ;p], Kluang and the overnighters in your Seremban residence and my PJ abode, ConFews and D’Fews and planning meetings, random trips to the mall, all the mamak sessions and teh aises that we shared, splashing around in Sunway Lagoon, reading poetry together in the hot sleepy afternoons, browsing photography books in the bookshop, and more. So much more.

Sometimes I wonder if I’m being too nostalgic, or being too much of a dreamer. :p But we figured we’re both too realistic for things like that. So I will live neither too far in the future nor stranded in the past, but live in the now and live it well.

Then. Aih. You factor into my past, with a multitude of marvelous memories [yay alliteration!] and into my future, with dozens of dazzling dreams [yay alliteration again!], but. But but but but. The time in between seems so indistinct and blur – at least the you part, I guess. Yish.

So we were called together, and now we are called to part. You shall depart for seminary soon to be my dear constipated scholar there – too soon, it seems, and I will depart for my Discipleship Training School a month later.

I will miss you. But out of necessity, these are the paths we take – and I would not change them, and though we part for the moment, may the roads we walk converge again in future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home